We, Terry Fox (India) Committee in Mumbai, organize a Run every year to garner support for Research in Cancer amongst children.
The Run is a non-competitive event where school students and individuals from all walks of life participate and raise money in Terry Fox’s name. It is a day of celebrating Terry’s legacy and helping to keep his dream of a cure for cancer alive. Mumbai can be proud about the results of working together, with no barriers or frontiers for the benefit of all. Mumbai’s determination to fight cancer has made it into the top 3 cities of the world for giving generously towards cancer research through the Terry Fox Run. In India, the main partners (to name a few) are as follows:
- Allanasons Ltd./ Frigorifico Allana Ltd.
- M. K. Tata Trust
- Birla Sun Life Insurance / Sun Life Financial
- Aditya Birla Group
- IndusInd Bank
- RGA Services India Pvt. Ltd.
- West Coast / Cambay Tiger
- The Toronto Dominion Bank
- and others
But the key partners are those thousands of school children who come out early morning on a Sunday for the Run to support the cause.
The 18th Terry Fox Run had over 8000 children participate in the Run and the Terry Fox (India) Committee collected over Rs.3 crores. All the funds collected are donated to Tata Memorial Hospital to carry out Research in Cancer amongst children. Doctors at Tata Memorial Hospital are in contact with the Terry Fox Foundation in Canada as they continue their research.
The research at Tata Memorial Hospital funded by the Terry Fox Run over the past years is briefly described below:
- Testing a radiotheraphy technique to reduce side effects and prevent brain dysfunction.
- A new way to follow-up patients with tumors effectively, while also incurring minimal cost.
- Researching how the HP virus causes eye tumors – and how they can be prevented.
- The role of indigenous botanical products in managing bone tumors.
- Evaluation of Zolendronic acid to assist treatment of high grade osteosarcoma.
- Using a new form of radiotherapy for children with nose and throat cancer for best results.
- Testing the optimum doses of drugs for boosting immunity in children with cancer.
- Researching the genetic profile of children with leukemia.
- Researching the genetic profile of children with brain tumors.
- Studying the response to therapy and residual in leukemia at molecular levels.
- Researching high-precision radiotherapy in pediatric patients.
This year will be the 19th year since Mumbai began the run for Cancer. I wish to advise you that this year the “Terry Fox Run” will be held on Sunday, 19th February 2017 at 7.45 am opposite Air-India Building, Nariman Point, via Marine Drive Flyover, taking a U turn below the Flyover to reach the end point of the race i.e. at Brabourne Stadium (CCI) at 8.30 am, where 40-50 schools will participate in the run and the children will be received by several dignitaries and the event will conclude at 9.30 am.